Country Classics at Morgan Hill, a community governed by its residents through the Country Classics at Morgan Hill Homeowners Association, is located just South of Route 78 and just east of Morgan Hill Road in Williams Township, Northampton County, Pennsylvania. The community will have 140 townhouses and 180 condominiums when construction and sales are complete sometime in 2006. Development began in 2003 and the community has evolved into an architectural distinctive enclave and is acknowledged as the finest community of its type in the Lehigh Valley. As of January 17, 2006 the community is governed entirely by a resident Executive Board. The community and the adjacent golf course occupy a total of 327 acres high atop Morgan Hill. Many of the residences have spectacular views of the surrounding and distant countryside of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and The Delaware Water Gap. More than 30 miles distant can be easily seen. One of the features of the community is a 3,562 square foot clubhouse which has offices, a meeting room which is available for use by association members, a fully equipped kitchen and a fitness center. The fitness center is equipped with top-of-line Life Fitness Equipment which is acknowledged to be some of the best available. Adjacent to the clubhouse is a pool and surrounding patio which has a commanding view of the city of Easton ,the Lehigh Valley and distant views.
The Club at Morgan Hill, a separate entity from the homeowners association, is a challenging 18 hole, 6,749 yard course with spectacular views acclaimed as some of the best in the Northeast. The Club operates from a beautiful clubhouse which contains Vintage, a fine restaurant and bar serving casually elegant food with a backdrop of sweeping mountaintop views.
The hill that the community and golf course occupies is rich in history. The area was first settled by German immigrants as early as 1725 and by Native Americans long before that. When it became a township in 1750 there were 150 inhabitants. The township is named after an early and prominent settler, John Williams. Morgan Hill is one of the highest points in the area and is named for Elizabeth Bell ”Mammy” Morgan. She and her husband, Dr. Abel Morgan, fled from Philadelphia during the course of a yellow fever epidemic in the early 1700’s, and settled on Morgan Hill. Dr. Morgan eventually succumbed from yellow fever. His wife provided medical aid, with the help of her deceased husband’s medical books, to the local populace when they were ill and was affectionally called “Mammy” by the locals. In 1770 she established a public house on Morgan Hill and ran it for many years.
“Mammy” Morgan is still with us, so to speak. A tall clock that she owned is on display at the Northampton County Historical Society in Easton. During the construction of the Easton Library in 1903 workers uncovered the graves of 514 people; “Mammy” Morgan’s being one of them. She was reburied in another grave on the west lawn of the Easton Cemetery. Today, many claim, the library is haunted by misplaced souls, whose remains were moved during the construction of the library and the ghost of “Mammy” Morgan can occasionally be seen roaming the grounds of the Easton Cemetery.
“Mammy” Morgan’s Hill has come a long way since the 1700’s. She would be proud.
Association Management Office
150 Clubhouse Drive
Easton, PA 18042
Please support our Advertisers.
They help pay the operating costs of this website.